Monday, January 27, 2014

The Madagascar Hissing Cockroach

If you're deathly afraid of cockroaches then this might be your worst nightmare. The Madagascar Hissing Cockroach is not only a lot bigger than the average cockroach you might find in your home, but it also hisses (as its name implies). The hissing is created by forcing air through the abdominal air holes, known as spiracles.This hissing is a defense mechanism to warn off other potential predators as well as an effective mating call. Too make things more pleasant, the hissing sound is not quiet by any means. It has been recorded to be as loud as 90 decibels which is similar to your lawnmower or hair dryer. Definitely loud enough for me to not want to pick it up, as if its appearance weren't enough.

                                   

Males have horns located on their heads as an easy way to identify them while females don't. The antennae of males are also hairy looking while females are rather smooth. As you can see (look at picture above) these cockroaches are pretty creepy based on their appearance, but there is nothing to be afraid of. You won't have to worry about these insects flying after you since they are wingless, and they are completely harmless to humans. You also won't find them in your house because they are not considered pests. They are actually located in Madagascar ( as its name implies) found in rotten logs on forest floors and eating fallen fruit and  leaf debris. 

It was at the beginning of January this year when I actually got the chance to hold one of these insects. I was a little hesitant at first, but I though it would be pretty cool to embrace the experience (after all it was the biggest cockroach I have ever seen and a picture would be cool). Knowing the fact that they didn't run fast or really move much at all also helped to boost my confidence, so I went ahead and held one. It was cool and I can safely say that there is nothing to be afraid of. Of course, I still get a little freaked out when I'm surprised by a cockroach in my house but I am definitely more understanding and not as afraid of them after the experience of holding a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach. 



Information found from:

Images found from:

No comments:

Post a Comment