Monday, January 6, 2014

Initial Thoughts on Insects

Besides sharing this world with them, I don't know much about insects. I never really had an interest in them when I was younger nor have I ever been required to learn about them in school. However, with little knowledge about these tiny creatures they have always seemed to fascinate me. I couldn't help to question how a caterpillar could change into a butterfly or how a bee makes honey. I also could never figure out how spiders made their webs with such detail, but it has definitely gained my curiosity.

I am curious to know why insects are important in my life and what they do to affect me in positive ways. For some reason, whenever I think of insects I imagine the negative effects they have had on me. I think of bee stings and ant bites as well as having to inconveniently put on mosquito spray when I go in my backyard. I think of wasps flying after me outside, and I can't forget the frightening spiders and cockroaches I have discovered in and around my house. With this said I have typically viewed insects as harmful and avoided them whenever possible.

I think this negative view of insects has been greatly influenced by scary stories and myths as well as hearing about the numerous ways people have died from them. It frightens me to know that a human being could die when bitten or stung by a creature so incredibly small in comparison. For example, one insect that always makes me nervous is the mosquito. Year after year I consistently hear about how mosquitoes can pass on deadly diseases from animals to humans by biting them, and I hear about the thousands of deaths as a result of Malaria from these contagious bloodsuckers. This definitely gives me a bad impression of insects overall, and it has me doubt the importance of any insect at all.


pyrethrum misting spray

With this said, I realize that there are probably many advantages insects have on my life every single day that I am unaware of. While always looking at their negative impact, I am curious to discover their true importance and how entomology is applied to better our world today. I want to know if these tiny crawlers are always something that should be avoided as poisonous and scary or if my mere fascination is a beginning to why I should view them differently. Whatever it is, insects are never going to completely go away, and I am curious to see if increased knowledge about them can help to eliminate one's fear towards them.

Images found from:
http://plywoodpeople.com/4501
http://www.totalmosquitocontrol.com/


1 comment:

  1. good post. We'll talk a lot more about mosquitoes this month.

    ReplyDelete